Breaking News


News Article



FEATHERSTONE moved into third spot after dispatching Dewsbury Rams in an impressive 42-18 rout.

A near-faultless first-half display saw John Duffy’s men all but seal their success.

And despite something of a fightback from the home side, former Ram Anthony Thackeray was able to inspire the Rovers to a vital victory with tries either side of the interval.

Luke Cooper ended a 54-game try-scoring drought by breaking the deadlock on six minutes, with Ian Hardman adding the extras.

Dewsbury held firm in the minutes which followed, repelling a host of Featherstone assaults.

But the home side eventually cracked, on 22 minutes, when Matty Wildie scampered over from close range.

Shortly after, a loose ball fell directly into the path of Jack Ormondroyd and the front-rower showed an incredible turn of pace - sprinting 80 metres to touch down.

During the dying seconds of the opening period, Anthony Thackeray took the ball from a scrum base and weaved his way around five would-be defenders to touch down in style.

Hardman, who went on to kick seven from seven, landed the conversion and made it 24-0 going into half-time.

The Rams were starved of possession during the first 40 but responded well following the restart.

Two tries in as many minutes, courtesy of Jordan Crowther and Gareth Potts, moved Dewsbury to within 12 points.

But when Gareth Hock left four Rams in a heap as he crashed over from close range, the two points were all but sealed.

Luke Briscoe broke clear four minutes later and sent Thackeray racing clear to score his second, with Dewsbury skipper Paul Sykes being sent to the sin-bin just prior for dissent.

Kyle Trout stepped inside two Rovers to hit back for the hosts.

But his 65th-minute effort provided little more than consolation as Ormondroyd took a neat Thackeray pass to make sure of Featherstone’s success.


ROVERS: Hardman, Briscoe, Taulapapa, Walton, Robinson, Thackeray, Wildie, Wheeldon, Carlile, Cooper, Lockwood, Davies, Hock. Subs: Moore, Brooks, Ormondroyd, Dwyer.

TRIES: Cooper (6), Wildie (22), Ormondroyd (28, 73), Thackeray (38, 58), Hock (54).

GOALS: Hardman 7/7


RAMS: Guzdek, Potts, Glover, Hallett, Morton, Sykes, Brown, Sheriffe, Ward, Teanby, Trout, Igbinedion, Crowther. Subs: Speakman, Everett, Wakeman, Walshaw.

TRIES: Crowther (47), Potts (49) Trout (65).

GOALS: Sykes  2/2 , Morton 1/1

SIN-BIN: Sykes (60)




MAN OF THE MATCH: Anthony Thackeray

REFEREE: Tom Grant