Breaking News


News Article



SHAUN Robinson scored twice as Featherstone Rovers overcame basement strugglers Swinton to record a fifth Betfred Championship victory in six.

In a game marred by ill-disciplined, a frustrated Featherstone failed to capitalise on a host of try-scoring opportunities.

As a result, visitors Swinton were never entirely out of sight and little separated the two sides.

The away side made a meal of the kick-off, gifting the Rovers possession early on.

And the division’s leading try scorer Luke Briscoe took his tally to eight for 2018, breaking from deep and racing 60 metres to cross the whitewash in style. 

Martyn Ridyard added the extras to make it 6-0 and Featherstone looked lethal in the minutes which followed.

However, as referee Tom Grant’s penalty count began to sore, Swinton battled back and survived a lengthy period of pressure on their own line.

Ridyard converted a Keal Carlile try on 22 minutes but the Lions replied on the half-hour through Matt Sarsfield.

Frankie Mariano responded with a try of his own, though, going into the break. And Ridyard’s goal made it 18-4.

Looking to kick on after the interval, Ridyard scored his fifth try of the season and added the extras.

Featherstone looked to be cruising but were pegged back by a pair of George Tyson tries - inside seven impressive minutes from Swinton.

Ridyard and Misi Taulapapa combined to find Robinson shortly after the hour mark, though, and the former Lion performed a move more commonly seen at a circus to touch down with only inches to spare.

The second half was hampered by Swinton’s efforts to slow Featherstone’s progress, in addition to a host of questionable defensive efforts from the Lancashire outfit.

On 66 minutes, tempers flared and a fracas - which began with Mikolaj Oledzki taking several blows on the deck - ended with Holmes and Rhodri Lloyd spending 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

Eight minutes from time, Misi Taulapapa was shown red after coming together with Swinton half-back Rob Fairclough, who was yellow carded for his part in the incident.

Sarsfield further reduced the arrears scoring a consolation try five minutes from time, which Josh Woods improved from the kicking tee.

But it was the hosts who had the laugh last, with Robinson taking a superb, looping Holmes pass to seal an impressive brace 90 seconds from time.


ROVERS: Hardman, Briscoe, Hardcastle, Taulapapa, Robinson, Ridyard, Holmes, Oledzki, Carlile, Clark, Farrell, Mariano, Knowles. Subs: Wildie, Hock, Brooks, Lockwood.

TRIES: Briscoe (7), Carlile (22), Mariano (36), Ridyard (45), Robinson (63, 78).

GOALS: Ridyard 4/4, Hardman 0/1.


LIONS: Fell, Butt, Hankinson, Tyson, Higginson, Woods, Fairclough, Bracek, Hansen, Bennion, Lloyd, Sarsfield, Barlow. Subs: Austin, Partington, Shelford, Waterworth.

TRIES: Sarsfield (30, 75), Tyson (50, 56).

GOALS: Hankinson 0/3, Woods 1/1.


REFEREE: Tom Grant


MAN OF THE MATCH: Luke Briscoe